Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate Finance
Full-time | Toronto, ON
Be Part of Our Story
Dedicated to telling stories and creating experiences, Indigo is always looking for bright, energetic and customer-focused people who can help bring our exciting mission to life.
Current Indigo employees should apply through the Internal Mobility page using your @indigo.ca email address.
Dedicated to telling stories and creating experiences, Indigo is always looking for bright, energetic and customer-focused people who can help bring our exciting mission to life in one of our more than 150 Indigo, Indigospirit, Chapters and Coles stores across Canada. We offer a variety of exciting opportunities at our retail stores, distribution centres, and home office for people who share our passions and want to be part of a dynamic and enriching culture.
WHO WE ARE
- We love books and all things beautiful
- We are Canada’s Cultural Department Store
- Books are our heart and our soul and Great Books are JUST the Beginning…
We play by the following rules:
- We exist to add joy to our customers’ lives each and every time they interact with us and our products
- Our job is to create joyful moments for our customers
- We treat each other the way we’d treat a valued friend
- We inspire each other to do our best work
- We seek to ignite creativity and innovation every day
- We give back to the communities in which we operate
As the Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate Finance you will be responsible for many aspects of Indigo’s external reporting requirements and compliance with Ontario Securities Commission and International Financial Reporting Standards. This role will partner with the business to understand the linkages between business needs and external requirements in an effort to ensure both external and internal needs are met. The SFA, Corporate Finance will be responsible for financial reporting requirements for Love of Reading, the separate registered charity Indigo supports.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Partner with all areas of the business to understand the implications of business decisions on external financial reporting requirements and internal controls
- Lead the preparation of the consolidated financial statements and quarterly/annual disclosures for Indigo Books & Music Inc. Lead the review process through to CFO authorization.
- Support the development of significant management estimates through contract review, monitoring of disaggregated business results and preparing technical accounting analyses.
- Build financial models to support technical accounting estimates; work through assumptions, make linkage between model results and provide business insights independently
- Keep current with public company disclosures and regulatory findings from the Ontario Securities Commission, recommending amendments to Indigo’s reporting to achieve best practice standards
- Prepare bi-weekly reports on the economic environment, emerging trends in the retail industry and the competitive landscape to be shared with the CFO and business partners across the organization.
- Responsible for internal communication and training of financial accounting concepts; identify trends in inquiries from the business and/or errors in accounting and lead education sessions with the business to improve the quality of Indigo’s financial reporting
- Responsible to review the capitalization of capital project investments against IFRS Standards, and present results of technical analysis in a coherent and concise manner to business partners
- Act as an advocate for the customer by placing them at the forefront of all design and decision-making processes
- Embrace and seek out technology that creates automated solutions to improve efficiency and data integrity
- Challenge the status quo and consistently identify areas for improvement, diagnose issues and working to resolve them
- Ability to influence executive decision making through factual analysis
- Has the ability to see the total organization with an integrated perspective
- Works in a collaborative and constructive manner with team and cross functional partners
- Share technical knowledge with others and actively seek to learn from those more knowledgeable than yourself
- Provide guidance & training to other finance team members
- Understands/demonstrates in a manner that promotes, and is aligned with, Indigo's Mission, Vision, Beliefs
- Communicate and interact effectively with colleagues at all levels across the organization
- Establish constructive executive and peer relationships
WHO YOU ARE:
- CPA designation required
- University degree in Accounting, Business or Finance
- CPA designation required
- At least 5 years industry audit/accounting/reporting experience or 3 years in public practice for audit and financial reporting
- Experience with IFRS 16 an asset
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programs, including SharePoint
- Must have initiative, curious mind and a self-starter
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Solid record of delivering results
At Indigo, we are committed to our communities, our customers, and each other; together we can make a positive impact. We know that fostering diversity and inclusion brings out your full potential and creates a joyful and welcoming environment for everyone. We are driven to be an equitable employer, which highly values your diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that you, in all your uniqueness, belong at Indigo. We welcome all applicants and encourage applications from individuals who identify as Black, Indigenous, a person of colour, LGBTQ2+ and people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request to individuals who self-identify as having a disability or special need. Please contact Human Resources at 1 (888) 881-3177 (toll free) or Support-HR@indigo.ca if you require an accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.