Customer Data Engineer
Full-time | Toronto, ON
Be Part of Our Story
Dedicated to telling stories and creating experiences, Indigo is always looking for bright, energetic and customer-focused people who can help bring our exciting mission to life.
Current Indigo employees should apply through the Internal Mobility page using your @indigo.ca email address.
Dedicated to telling stories and creating experiences, Indigo is always looking for bright, energetic and customer-focused people who can help bring our exciting mission to life in one of our more than 200 Indigo, Indigospirit, Chapters and Coles stores across Canada. We offer a variety of exciting opportunities at our retail stores, distribution centres, and home office for people who share our passions and want to be part of a dynamic and enriching culture.
WHO WE ARE
- We love books and all things beautiful
- We are Canada’s Cultural Department Store
- Books are our heart and our soul and Great Books are JUST the Beginning…
We play by the following rules:
- We exist to add joy to our customers’ lives each and every time they interact with us and our products
- Our job is to create joyful moments for our customers
- We treat each other the way we’d treat a valued friend
- We inspire each other to do our best work
- We seek to ignite creativity and innovation every day
- We give back to the communities in which we operate
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
As the Customer Data Engineer, you are responsible for leading the continuous management and improvement of Indigo’s Customer Intelligence (CI) data infrastructure and processes. You will define and execute the strategy to optimize customer data through a “best in class” approach to how we collect, connect, manage and apply customer data to help Indigo become a more customer-centric organization. This includes looking for opportunities to help all members of the CI team accomplish their deliverables more efficiently and effectively, in order to support several areas within Indigo including Marketing, Loyalty, Email, and Merchant teams. In addition, you will support customer reporting, as well as data extracts.
- Design, build and automate data processes using SAS and/or SQL for internal and external partners in a consistent and scalable manner while maintaining and improving existing processes
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders to identify, troubleshoot and/or develop solutions to better understand and manage customer data by consistently looking for areas of improvement
- Identify opportunities for new customer related data sources and using data in new ways that could have direct business impact
- Create and own documentation for any new data processes, as well as ensure existing documented processes are up to date
- Maintain and improve dashboards for business users, including training and communication of this tool
- Challenge the status quo by consistently identifying areas for improvement, diagnosing issues and working to resolve them
- Act as the subject matter expert on Indigo’s data environment with respect to customer data creation and consumption for all existing data sources
- Support reporting and data extraction requests
WHO YOU ARE:
- University degree in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the analytics field; experience in the retail sector is preferred – 3 to 5 years of experience preferred
- Strong SAS and SQL required: programming, reporting, macros, data manipulation, and automation. SAS certification is an asset
- Strong operational experience in commanding enterprise customer data creation and consumption
- Data visualization tools, Unix/command line, VBA experience are an asset
- Demonstrated time management skills, including the ability to adhere to schedules and manage processes; the ability to organize and prioritize work to manage timelines and to meet defined deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Process-driven with high attention to detail
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills in a cross-functional environment that include excellent written, oral, and presentation abilities
- The ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and consider the business impact of decisions on diverse groups; influence others to achieve project goals often without direct authority
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret data
- Experience working with and manipulating large data sets
- Proactive and a demonstrated interest in customer data and digital marketing
Indigo Books & Music is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources if you require accommodation. We will work with all applicants to accommodate their individual accessibility needs.